What do you need to KNOW?
Padel is a racquet sport which is played in doubles only, and it can be played indoors or outdoors. The Indian Padel Federation follows the rules of the International Padel Federation (FIP)
- Padel has the same scoring system as tennis:15, 30, 40, advantage, deuce, game, etc.
- When a team collects 6 games, and there is at least 2 games difference, the set is won.
- If a set reaches a 6/6 draw, there is tie-breaker same as tennis, if the score is 6-5 set is extended for one more game.
- The winner is the best of 3 sets.
FAIR PLAY SITUATIONS
- The court lines are considered in play only during the first serve. Otherwise, they are not a factor in determining the outcome of each point in the game between opposing players.
- All players are permitted to play a ball off any of the walls on their side of the court.
- In Padel, all play begins with an underhand serve from the right service court into the opponent’s court diagonally across.
- Serving player must be behind the service line and may not touch or cross it while serving. The ball should bounce first on his floor and then hit it below the waist level.
- The ball must bounce in the service box opposite before being hit by the returner.
- The serve must land in the opponent’s service box.
- If the ball bounces in the service box and strikes the side or back wall, it is a valid serve and must be played by the opposing player.
- If the ball lands in the service box and hits the wire fencing, it is considered a fault.
- As in tennis, the serving team has 2 attempts per point.
WINNING A POINT
- The opposition wins a point when any of the following occurs:
- The ball bounces twice in any area on your court’s side.
- The ball strikes you or your teammate while in play.
- The ball hits the wire fencing or another fixture before going over the net or going into the opponent’s court
OUT OF BOUNDS
- The ball is considered out of bounds, and a point is given to the opposing players if the ball hits the wire fence or walls before bouncing on the opponent’s side of the court.
- The ball can be taken out of the air by any player except on the first serve and the return of serve.
In case you want to extend your knowledge with the official Padel regulation you can download the full documentation from the International Padel Federation